Position Description | Finance Coordinator
Looking to join a team of small yet dedicated creatives? CultureWorks Greater Philadelphia seeks a full-time Finance Coordinator to join the Finance & Operations team. CultureWorks is an emerging, national, nonprofit “management commons” model—a platform for sharing essential support systems for the arts and heritage community. This position reports to the Finance Director.
The Finance Coordinator works closely with the Finance Director and Finance and Operations Manager to develop and maintain the highest level of quality in service delivery for our Track 2 fiscally sponsored members, who participate in our shared finance, legal, HR, compliance, and risk management (insurance) resources. The Finance Coordinator will be responsible for day-to-day bookkeeping transactions including Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Cash Receipts, and Payroll along with Acknowledgements and special projects.
CultureWorks Greater Philadelphia’s mission is to provide arts, heritage, and creative practitioners equitable access to the resources they need to flourish. We build and share all of the essential supporting services that individual cultural practitioners and nonprofit organizations or creative enterprises need for their programs, work, or services to succeed. These include staff to manage finance, compliance, HR, legal, fundraising, marketing, and data, in addition to flex and interim staffing, office and meeting space, advisory services, basic insurances, and nonprofit status itself.
CultureWorks maintains the following core attributes for all of its team members, regardless of job title or functional area of responsibility:
● Equity as a lens on the world – a commitment to the constant practice of critical inquiry and understanding of how oppression acts in our world and how we can counter its forces.
● Leadership drive and energy – to define the big questions, not problems, and take initiative, communicate, collaborate, build consensus, and embody our vision and mission.
● Omnivorous curiosity and an open mind – a strong knowledge of and interest in cultural and creative practice and the fortitude to push the boundaries of culture to ever-wider embrace.
● Compassion, care, and the drive of a social worker – interested in understanding the diverse needs of individuals and organizations, starting with the question, “How can we help you?”.
● An appetite for risk, failure, and unflinching candor – the restless urge to question, tinker, and improve our work and its ability to help realize the vision of our team and our members.
● Relentless optimism – the urge to solve difficult problems every day across a vast spectrum of cultural practice and to start every answer to “What if...?” with “Yes, that’s possible, if...”.
● The ability to set curatorial impulses aside – we are not arbiters of taste or cultural practice; we provide the means by which culture may flourish on its own terms.
We believe in a vision of radical cultural equity – a world in which everyone has unmitigated and equitable access to the resources they need to make or preserve culture, should they so desire. We believe this vision is possible through sharing resources cooperatively, shifting our view of the landscape from one of scarcity to one of abundance. In this world, we apply urgent and unrelenting effort to mitigate the powers that divide and oppress. Cultural practice is not a race to the top, a nasty and brutish life of quiet desperation in which only the “excellent” and “best” survive. It is rather a world in which the deep and irrepressible urge to make and preserve is celebrated and may be pursued by all in the interest of greater wellbeing and flourishing. This vision defines as much our team as it does the community we serve. All are welcome to the commons.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
● Implement the financial and risk management policies and practices of CultureTrust and maintain all accounts payable/receivable records, as well as donor records.
● Implement all compliance-related donor and funder acknowledgements and ensure that donor records are accurate and up to date;
● Daily processing of cash receipts.
● Review and execute all procurement requests (Purchase Orders) for CultureTrust members.
● Support the annual regulatory and tax compliance processes, including audit preparation for
both CultureWorks and CultureTrust.
● Process payroll and prepare payroll journal entries.
● Implement annual data entry and compliance with Data Arts.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
● At least 3 years of accounting or bookkeeping experience.
● Bookkeeping and accounting training and certifications preferred (though no CPA license
● Familiarity with the arts and heritage/humanities fields, their business models and modes of
● General knowledge of nonprofit financial management, fundraising, marketing, and operations
● Superior communications, interpersonal, and team leadership skills.
● Proficiency in management technologies (Microsoft Office, CRMs, databases, and accounting
● Process Accounts Payables for CultureTrust: including check requests, invoices, and purchase orders, verify budget with the expense request, monitor encumbered expenses.
● Support accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year-end close processes.
● Support other revenue and expense reconciliations.
● File and maintain files for all accounting transactions.
● Assist in preparing reports as requested.
● Other fiscal duties/projects as assigned by Finance department. softwares).
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references in PDF form to Beth Warshaw, Director of Operations, at the address firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications that are incomplete, faxed, or mailed through the USPS or will not be not accepted. The deadline for applying is EOD on Friday, December 13th, 2019.
CultureWorks is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, creed, gender, or sexual identity. Compensation is commensurate with experience and the baseline for this salary in CultureWorks’ salary distribution system is $40,000. CultureWorks offers a full benefits package, including an unlimited paid time-off policy, a wellbeing allowance, health insurance, and access to a 403(b) retirement account.